October is Family History Month @ Linton Public Library!

Family History is so much more than names on a chart, and this October is a perfect time to discover why!  October is Family History Month @ the Linton Public Library!! 👪 👪 👪

To celebrate, we are offering four programs for all different ages to help you celebrate your heritage! The first one will be to encourage children to learn more about their family and the stories they have to tell. Our usual Creative Crafternoon program will help you to display your family photographs in a pretty family tree to treasure. The last two programs will be for the beginning genealogist,...and also for the one that has started their tree, but has hit a brick wall or two.

So, please call or come in to the Linton Public Library to learn more about these programs!

~ ~ And, please read on below these photos... ~ ~

 You will find a much more personal look at discovering your family heritage!

              

                                  

My name is Diane, and I am the genealogist here at Linton Public Library.  I love learning all about families, heritage, heirlooms and history...

and this is why:

Eleven years old, and I had just watched all of the Roots miniseries on TV. That is when I was bitten by the genealogy bug. My grandfather had just passed away, but I was lucky to still have a great-grandmother who had just turned 97 that year.

At that time, I thought it was all about attaching names to photographs, and filling in the pedigree charts. I did make a point of filling in the family sheets also, because I knew it was important to have everyone's information.

And that was all you needed, right?

I was so very wrong!

In starting this journey, I have discovered so much more than the names of my ancestors.

I discovered their stories. That is the essence of family history.


I grew up knowing most of the people in this photograph. But I now know so much more about them.

  • I know three of the men are WW II veterans. And that one was injured as a paratrooper in the Philippines, and one was missing for a short time in France.
  • My great-grandmother was a widow for several years before the war, and had to watch alone as four sons went off to war. The youngest was just 18 years old!
  • My grandfather was born a year before his future wife's cousin was sworn in as the governor of Indiana.
  • I know that one of these gentlemen came from Italy as a young boy.

This is Family History! When a picture is so much more than names and faces. 

It is their stories.

It is in how they lived, endured, celebrated.


It is much, much more than a name on a chart!

Comments